Prince Edward on the Island of Jersey

Prins Edward, earl av Wessex - version 4Residents of the island of Jersey, the largest of the Channel Islands, met Prince Edward on September 17, 2013 at an event held to celebrate that it had been 350 years since the island of Jersey was given the Royal Mace in 1663 from King Charles II to honor the island for affording him shelter for two brief periods when he needed it before he became King. Sir Michael Birt, the Bailiff, gave the invitation to Islanders to meet Prince Edward at this special sitting, and articulated that the event was an opportunity for Jersey to convey its allegiance to the Crown. Michael Birt also expressed his hope that many Islanders would come out to welcome the Royal Visitor. His hopes were not disappointed.

Prince Edward arrived the morning of September 16th, 2013 by helicopter landing at the Royal Jersey Showground in Trinity. In the afternoon of the same day, he visited St. James Award Centre in order to present gold Duke of Edinburgh Awards to Richard Taylor, Rebecca Ramsay, Chantal Lerusse, and Peter Graham. During that visit, which was not open to the public, Prince Edward also met representatives of The Prince’s Trust and the On-2-Wheels project.

On the morning of September 17th, 2013, Prince Edward was encouraged to place a tree in the ground during his walk scheduled walk around garden allotments. Students of the island’s school were present. Prince Edward’s public appearance took place later that afternoon when he arrived at the States building and was shown the Mace as well as the Proclamation of Prince Charles as King in February of 1649.

Following that presentation, the Lieutenant-Governor General Sir John McColl, the Bailiff, and Prince Edward took their place within the States Assembly in the square. Fifteen minutes later, Prince Edward commenced a walkabout in the square, meeting members of the public, members of the Island’s cadet organizations, the performers, and some of the hundreds of schoolchildren assembled there. Prince Edward appeared to have a lovely time but had to leave the square at around 2:30 PM to go to the airport for his later departure.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s